What is 1624
Engrossed Substitute House Bill (ESHB) 1624 was passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on April 20, 2007. This bill requires regional and statewide quarterly meetings between Children’s Administration (CA), foster parents, and the Foster Parent Association of Washington State (FPAWS).
Section 10 (15) of this bill requires CA to:
* Consult with foster parents, including members of the FPAWS, at least quarterly on regional and statewide levels.
* Receive information and comments regarding how CA is performing the duties and meeting the obligations regarding the following:
- Recruitment of foster homes
- Retention of foster homes
- Effective training for foster parents
- Coordinated and comprehensive plan that strengthens services for the protection of children.
In response to ESHB 1624, a workgroup with regional and HQ representatives, Casey Family Programs, FPAWS and licensed and unlicensed caregivers was created and has met on three occasions. The workgroups mission was to provide recommendations regarding the structure, process and participation in regional and statewide quarterly meetings between Children’s Administration (CA), foster, unlicensed, and relative caregivers, and the Foster Parent Association of Washington State (FPAWS).
The CAFPT Team
Since the implementation of the CAFPT (Children’s Administration Foster Parent Team) in November 2007, the team has fulfilled the legislative direction to consult quarterly. CA staff and foster parents come together in meetings held in each region and video conference technology is now utilized for the state quarterly consultations with CA staff and the state foster parent representatives. The team has directed their efforts towards operationalizing the mission of CAFPT which is to “Strive to improve the well-being and protection of all children in foster and relative care, and to enhance and strengthen services for children and caregivers in the state of Washington”.
To view the Foster Parent Representatives for 2016 Click Here.