What is 1624
Engrossed Substitute House Bill (ESHB) 1624 was passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on April 20, 2007. This bill requires regional and statewide quarterly meetings between Department Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF), foster parents, and the Foster Parent Association of Washington State (FPAWS).
Section 10 (15) of this bill requires CA to:
* Consult with foster parents, including members of the FPAWS, at least quarterly on regional and statewide levels.
* Receive information and comments regarding how DCYF is performing the duties and meeting the obligations regarding the following:
- Recruitment of foster homes
- Retention of foster homes
- Effective training for foster parents
- Coordinated and comprehensive plan that strengthens services for the protection of children.
In response to ESHB 1624, a workgroup with regional and HQ representatives, Casey Family Programs, FPAWS and licensed and unlicensed caregivers was created and has met on three occasions. The workgroups mission was to provide recommendations regarding the structure, process and participation in regional and statewide quarterly meetings between Department Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF), foster, unlicensed, and relative caregivers, and the Foster Parent Association of Washington State (FPAWS).